Sunday, March 22, 2009

India Fishin'

My friend Anand lives in Southern India and came over to visit 2 months ago. He asked me to teach him how to fish and to take him to buy fishing lures. I told him I would try my best as I had never been to India to fish. He also wanted to buy a rod and reel for under 60 dollars. I told him that it was almost impossible to get all of that for under 60 bucks but he is pretty willing. So I took him to all places(fly shops don't have the proper equipment) BPS. We went over there and shopped for a good hour or so. I took him directly to the soft plastics, jig heads and like. He kept asking me what he could catch and how to fish the lures. Then he'd ask me if he could fish sea or whatever and I said, I guess so, I have no idea Anand. It was quite funny as I was just guessing what the fish would take. I grabbed him some jig heads, soft plastic curl tail jigs, plastic worms and a few road runners. After we got all that, he got the rod and reel craze again and we went looking around. I showed him all the expensive stuff to try and steer him clear, hoping he would get something over in India or order online. He also kept saying he would go to Cabelas in Chicago, maybe his sister would buy for him. I said that sounded like a plan. We kept looking though and he liked the telescope rods but they weren't strong enough for what he wanted. He wanted the rod like his friend had...no such thing.

Got home and I had to show him how to tie knots and drawings on how to do so. I also drew him a picture of how to rig the lure onto the hook, the bead and weight(carolina style) for the ocean. Guess it worked.

Anyways I told him that he had to send me some pictures of the fish he caught and he finally sent me some pictures today. He called it a Corp fish and Snakehead. Pretty sure he meant Carp, too bad it ain't a Pink Carp and this is a small, he said 12" Snakehead. Glad my lure choices were good.

Great to spread the love of fishing over to India. Thanks Anand!!

Carp
Snakehead

No comments: