Friday, March 27, 2009

Gloves for Cold Weather

These wool gloves from Barbour kept my hands warm in Michigan this past fall, nice and dry in mountain rain and even somewhat toasty on a windy 20 degree snowfall morning. This is my second pair. I was so confident in their warmth keeping powers that I gave my last pair to a homeless man on a cold rainy day. Hopefully they kept him warm on the cold windy days here in town...and hopefully many more to come.

I keep these in my fishing bag at all times and wear them anytime it's raining or somewhat chilly outside. With the fingerless style, I can fish easily and the nice thing about these gloves is the fact that they don't have a flap to cover the fingers. I always found that it just gets in the way, line gets hung on the velcro or something else. If it is really cold outside I sometimes put my Patagonia liner gloves underneith but for the most part, these gloves do the job on their own. I'd definitely recommend them for next winter's fishing trips or for some that are in the Rockies...I'd recommend them right now. Haha. They are a great deal at 18 or 19$. You can order them from Orvis and sometimes find them in your local outfitter. I could be mistaken but I believe they only come in Medium and Large and 2 different colors, grey and olive. I have the olive version and they are almost identical. They aren't itchy and they keep you warm. What else could you ask for?

What is the worst thing about these gloves? Well most people think they are ugly and look like a homeless persons glove, which they do. If you have friends that aren't into fishing or hunting, they won't understand, but then again..they probably don't understand anything else you wear either.

Barbour gloves

Barbour gloves

Barbour gloves

No comments: