Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Virginia Tail Water

Got to go fishing last Monday for the first time in 09. Went up to a Va tail water that holds wild browns and stocked rainbows. Met up with the only fishin' buddy I got around here and after stoppin' in at Bojangles for some biscuits and coffee we got to the stream at around 8am. The water was released at 6am and was running until 9 so we fished down river a little while. The rain was coming down and the water was really muddied up. The usual combo of flies is a dry and a dropper of some sort. I threw on a cdc/deer hair with a midge and didn't have a strike. He caught 1 on a midge dropper in the first 30 minutes. The fish weren't cooperating at first. I had one nice brown roll on my dry in the riffles and that was it. We decided to head up toward the dam and wait for the water. At this point the rain had stopped and the pulse had cleared up the water nice for us. We got in the water and I had a few fish on my midge dropper. It took me a few minutes to realize I wasn't fishing deep enough so I put on a larger dry with a tungsten dropper and a smaller midge under that. I started hooking up almost immediately. He wasn't hooking up so I showed him what I did and he started hooking up. In this one hole we must have caught 35 or 40 fish combined. The fishing slowed down once the wind picked up and we headed back down river. I caught one more nice brown on a white hackled Royal Wulff and we called it a day. This is a river where a lot of people can't catch more than a few.A lot of people say there aren't any fish in the river. It's a tough river but they almost all fish the same. We had a great day indeed. I caught all but one fish on my midge dropper.

The fish definitely worked with us that day, Friday we had a tougher day but it ended up just as nice. I'll have a report of that soon. Life doesn't get much better than this!

Blessings.



















No comments: