Monday, April 27, 2009

Va Tailwater few weeks back

This is the other report I said I was going to have. This was a few weeks ago. The day started out super slow. I had caught 1 fish all morning and Larry had caught 2. The hole we had fished a few days prior was completely non satisfactory. The fish were not there. We hopped around and the rain began to come down. I caught my first fish after the rain and that was it until about 3 o clock. We walked about a mile down river and hit the hole. We were in some still water and the fish were rising to something. Second cast into the still water, largest brown of the day. I took a picture of him and put him back. Not 5 minutes later Larry catches the largest brown of the day. Few minutes later, one was on my rod, not as large as his but another nice one. I thought the fish were hittin midge pupas and we caught a few on them but they were also hitting something on top big time. I was changing every 5 casts while Larry messed around and told me I was changin' too much. Eventually I put on my cdc deer hair emerger and started missing them left and right. It wasn't exactly what they wanted so they were just grabbin' it. This was in the riffles and I thought I saw some Sulfurs comin' off...but it was the first of April and I thought it couldn't be. Well sure enough it was sulfurs comin' off about size 16 but the fish weren't payin' much attention. I must have caught 10 or so in a matter of 30 minutes with about 10 missed. Larry starts changing bugs and gets one. He probably caught 15 or so soon after that. Our day turned from gloomy to fantastic in a matter of 30 minutes. What a day. We must have ended up catching 30 or so fish. Incredible!

This is before the rain...



Beautiful brown after the rain.


Brown of the day number 1


Nice brown Larry!


How about a double!


Larry ended up catchin' one more on the last cast.

What a day on the water.

Progression on the storm front. The move to Jackson is speeding up faster than ever. Could be within the next month now. I will miss fishin' with Larry, what a good man. Hope to have one more good outting with him before we head out.

What a day...

No comments: